Tuesday, December 30, 2008



It has been a busy Christmas season. so busy that I haven't left the house for the past three days trying to rest. In the Catholic Church, the season isn't over until after the Epiphany which is on January 6th.

As I said briefly in an earlier post, I attended a 5PM vigil on Christmas Eve that was to count as a Christmas Mass. The Midnight Mass was at 10PM. Confusing isn't it? In what I call, the real Church of 43yrs. ago, Midnight Mass began at the stroke of 12PM. Entire families came with their children. As a child I went with my family and would sometimes fall asleep. In my Junior and Senior years in school I was one of the angels on the altar who made all these graceful arm movements to "O' Holy Night". It was indeed a beautiful tribute to the birth of the Christ Child. The years passed and my husband and I brought our children to Church with us but it wasn't the same anymore.

I still attend Mass of course but it is with a different perspective. I go to be present at the Sacrifice of the Mass (Calvary made present) and to receive the Eucharist. I take note of the abuses be they big ones or small ones. The Church was crowded with people filling all the pews and some standing. Christmas songs filled the air before Mass began which was acceptable but then, they started singing a very lively "Jingle Bells". I found myself "dashing through the snow". Some may disagree but another song that is not correct with Church teaching is "Mary Did You Know?" Of course she knew, the angel Gabriel told her he was the Son of God. Reminds me of a priest telling me that Jesus didn't know he was God. I sum it all up to many people including priests probably never believed. I will end with Peter's words,

John 6

69 And Simon Peter answered him: Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

No comments: