Sunday, November 16, 2008

In this post, I will try to paint a visual picture of some of the happenings in the Catholic atmosphere in that time but first I will bring you up-to-date on my young family. In May of 1971 the little daughter I gave birth to in 1964 received her First Holy Communion in the nuns chapel as we awaited the completed construction of our church. In July 1971 my fourth baby daughter was born and baptized in the school cafeteria . Four daughters in the span of 10 yrs., I felt blessed.

I have no real complaints about the Catholic elementary school in those years, the youngest entered kindergarten in 1976. They were all taught by nuns who wore the full habit, wimple and all, but before the youngest graduated from elementary school the nuns had permission to modify their habits. I felt saddened because the habit was a witness to our faith. And then, wouldn't you know, two nuns approached me and said, "We heard you can sew Mrs. R, will you make our habits?" Aw Gee! I explained to them that all I sewed was playclothes for my girls, "culottes" were the rage then, and that I can't make a habit. As it went, I made two for one of them and the other only wanted one. They painstakingly, stitch by stitch, took their habits apart and presented the material to me. Because the material that I had been given was blessed many times, I handled it with reverence. I became a participant in something that I disagreed with.
Shortly thereafter the nuns took their "real" names back .. Sr. Raphael became Sr. Maureen and so on. It didn't take a mastermind to know that something was happening.

I believe that ecumenism played a big part in the present crisis in the Church. It was an attempt to bring all religions together and let them have their say and try to reconcile differences to bring them into union with the Church so we can be one as Jesus prayed.


Chapter 17
John:verse 21

"That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me."

But, it backfired.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm so grateful for those early years with the Sisters. Thanks, Mom.