Sunday, November 9, 2008


The shock, that more than half of Catholics voted for the candidate that promotes abortion, has finally worn off and now I am ready to defend my Faith. Should I just assume that they have no idea what the Catholic Church teaches or do they think that no one has the right to tell them what to do, not even the Church that they proclaim faith in? By the grace of God, I was born into a Catholic family and attended a Catholic school. Anyone who has a dislike for the Church might say I was "brainwashed". ... I like to say I was "whitewashed. Can you even imagine how clean one feels after going to Confession? I received my First Holy Communion as a little girl, was confirmed when I was 12 yrs. old and was very impressed when the confirming Bishop said "Now you are a Soldier of Christ." I kept that in mind all through the years and wondered if I would ever be called on to be that soldier and, most importantly, would I have the "guts" to do it. Well, here I am ... we chose the name of a Saint we admired when confirmed .. mine was St. Lucy.

When I got to the dating age I dated guys from the public school but usually didn't like their poking fun at my beliefs, especially about the Blessed Mother. I reasoned that if I ever married that a disparity would exist in our union so I purposedly singled out the Catholic guys and eventually fell "head over heels" and had a Catholic wedding in the Church. We argued about everything under the sun but never about our beliefs. We happily shared many years until his death parted us.

In the present culture, many couples live together without the benefit of marriage. These unions are bound for failure. Without marriage it is called "fornication". Marriage does occur but more than half of the couples will seek a divorce. Many flippantly say, "If it doesn't work out, I can always get a divorce." In Christian ceremonies I would think that it is still said "What God has joined together, let no man put asunder." In the Church, marriage was raised to the dignity of a sacrament as Jesus was present at a wedding in Cana. When He was told the wine ran short He asked the waiters to fill 6 big water jars to the brim, He blessed them and the water turned to fine wine. He is truly present at a Catholic wedding and blesses the union.

We have serious moral decay in America. We are trying to get around immorality by giving "license" to grave sins. Just today, a man on television said that we might as well uplift the bans on "gay" marriage because the next generation will do it. The (gays) need "sanctity" in their union. I believe he meant to say sanction as the definition of sanctity is holiness.

It's difficult for me to talk about abortion because I had four children and remember how happy I was with each of their births. I was asked all four times by nurses if this was my first child. I was a stay at home Mom until the last was in kindergarten.

I am most certain that there are many good Christians from other faiths out there who believe much of what I have discussed and any comments from you would be welcome.



No comments: