Wednesday, January 14, 2009


Song of the Angels


It has been exactly two weeks since I have posted. I am not ill. it takes me this long to get out of the holiday mood. I think that things in the Catholic Church are coming at us fast. Sunday I attended the 8AM Mass and was greeted at the door by a brusque speaking man. Not that his rudeness affected my answer to his question, I just don't care for men who act roughly. With pen and paper in hand he asked me to choose what ministry I would like to assist in. He said they needed lectors and extraordinary ministers. My answer to him was, "Neither but thanks for asking." I have nothing against doing a reading but I have a reason that I didn't offer. I have a problem with lighting whether it be too dim or too bright. As for minister participation, I do have a problem with that. First I do not feel worthy to handle the Host. Obviously many do not share my feelings, it is easily detectable in their attire and their inattention as they casually hand out the Body of Christ. The altar is overrun with ministers. The Magesterium has said it can be used in extreme circumstances by people who are carefully chosen. The first criteria is they have to BELIEVE.

Needless to say, I felt guilty but Monday I was to get an answer. At early Mass my two young grandsons said the pastor couldn't be there but that he had consecrated a sufficient number of hosts. They assisted the female minister as she communicated the small number of people who were there. Now that is extraordinary and I WILL do it if the need is there. Will I be anymore worthy to touch the Host, "No" but even if we only have one priest left in a number of parishes and he consecrates the hosts, we who believe will give the people whom they came to receive... Jesus. I heard and can't believe that 70% of Catholics do not believe in the Real Presence. Fallen away Catholics and those Catholics that attend church for socializing with the community, go sit before the tabernacle, be still and listen.

Dave and Anita, my daughter and son- in -law, gave me the above picture.

No comments: